Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Google Banking Please


I recently got an over draft notice from one of the banking institution I do business with. They graciously charged me $30 for the overdraft, and covered my check.

This frustrates me in a lot of ways. I had the money to cover the check I’d written, but I don’t look at my bank account often enough to know when I’m low on funds.

As banking services become more of a commodity, I’m going to have to re-think who I’m doing business with. I’m not sure I’m getting much value for the services I pay for, and I think the limited services that are offered to me are structured so that I’ll end up paying an extra $50 to $100 per year towards unexpected fees.

I’m looking for a bank that is going to bend over backwards to help me manage my money better. Why do I need to get Quicken or MS Money when the bank already has all that transactional data anyway? I’d like to get mobile alerts on my phone when my bank account falls below some threshold I’ve set, or if certain transactions are over some specific dollar amount that might indicate fraud.

Is this crazy talk? Maybe this will be Google’s next free beta offer. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Rich Thach said...

Washington Mutual allows you to set up email alerts. These alerts can be set to send an email when you account is below a certain level and you can dictate what level.